Becoming a mother is an indescribable experience. Staring into your baby’s big eyes and knowing that you carried and delivered this precious package into the world is one of the very best feelings. Knowing that you get to show your little one the ups and downs of life is exciting, yet also daunting. Throw in a worldwide pandemic and that exhilaration can turn to fear. The world is so uncertain, how can you create stability in your child’s life?
Thoughtful things to do for new moms during Covid
The most important thing to do for new moms is to get help in any way you can. Sleep is a rarity so making waking tasks easier for the mother makes the baby’s life better.
Here are five thoughtful ways to help yourself as a new mom or to assist a new mom in your life.
- Bring pre-made food by. A warm, home cooked meal is like nothing else so creating that sense of comfort can help make moms life easier.
- Grocery delivery. What used to be a simple trip to the grocery store can be an exhausting and potentially dangerous task, so taking that errand off of her to-do list can make her days easier. If you don’t know specifics, then get basic kitchen items like easy to cook protein, lots of fresh produce and dry goods like pasta, rice and cereal. Bringing lots of snacks helps too. You can also sign Mom up for a delivery service like Shipt, Instacart, or do a quick Google search for local ones in your area.
- Quarantine care packages. The baby is getting all the love it possibly could, but mom needs love too. Fill a box with her favorite things like candy, books, wine and self-care items. Self- care items can look like face masks, nail polish, lotions and moisturizers. Making mom feel as special as her baby will make her a better parent and person.
- Gift cards. Giving gift cards to restaurants takes away stress of having to think of what to prepare. (Eliminating stress in as many situations as we can helps ease the burden on the new mom!) Plus, you can support a local business! Win, win.
- Constant words of encouragement. Texts, cards, emails and voicemails are all great places to let a new mom know just how amazing of a job she’s doing. Mailing a card through the actual mail can make her whole day!
How to help a new mom from far away
Travel is becoming more restricted by the day, so being there physically for a new mom sometimes just isn’t possible. Video and phone calls are an integral part of being there for her. You can also send care packages and gift cards in the mail. Letting her know you there emotionally even though you can’t be there physically can help her feel less alone.
Fight off feelings of loneliness
Becoming a new mom brings a slew of changes to your life. From breastfeeding to lack of sleep and even changes in personal relationships, life is moving and grooving all around you and that can make you feel lonely. The best way to fight off that loneliness is to talk about it.
Telling your partner, parent or even a counselor, will open up the conversation and let people in.
Talking about your feelings can be scary, but letting the people close to you know that you are struggling will lead to you getting the help you need.
Creating time to feel connected to those in your life is more important now than ever before. Virtual mom’s groups are an amazing way to connect to other moms in your community. Remember, almost all new moms have experienced what you’re going through, so reach out and try and enjoy the newborn phase, they grow so fast!
About Soul Song Counseling in Denver, CO
Becca Hart, LPC is a counselor offering telehealth in the Denver, CO area. She specializes in brainspotting therapy, pre and postpartum therapy and women’s counseling. Check Becca’s availability by clicking here.